11.22.2005

Google Local for mobile

After initial disappointment after reading the following statement in the GLM FAQ:


We have temporarily removed access to Local for mobile for users of the T-Mobile network. We are working closely with T-Mobile to quickly restore availability. Check back soon.

Luckily I am a dork and carry no fewer than 3 SIMs on my person. I simply swapped out my t-mobile SIM for my Cingular SIM, reprovisioned my GPRS and MMS settings, and successfully downloaded and loaded the GLM jar to my RAZR phone. Then the fun began.

Test #1 -

1) Enter home address
2) click Satellite
3) zoom in,
4) zoom in,
5) search for "italian"
6) 1-9 results display with closest in detail view
7) scroll through restaurants with 1-9 keys
8) click any listing detail for options
9) options include call, directions to, directions from

simple, powerful, useful.

Test #2 - point to point directions

1) click a place on the satellite map
2) zoom in
3) zoom in
4) zoom in
5) click to set starting point
6) use phone arrow buttons to move map/satellite to desired end point
7) click to set ending point
8) point to point txt instructions displayed. map/satellite with route highlighted displayed in background.


Very impressive tech.

But, when can I get a GPS-enabled device to interface with it directly? I'll gladly pay top dollar to the first vendor who can put such a device in my hand.

Way to go google. Why do we continue to have this love hate relationship? Please don't turn into the evil empire. I must admit, I'm blown away at the capabilities of this 93k jar - even with the pathetic sub-56k GPRS connection from my RAZR phone on Cingular's network.

If you have a Java enabled mobile device, I would STRONGLY recommend that you check this out ASAP.

This will change your life.

I'd highly recommend it. I can already see how this is going to change my life in a number of positive ways...and one can only imagine what will happen once I track down a device that runs on one of these new 3g+ data networks...bring it. This coupled with my current work with SoonR, and my netOS R&D effort bring me one step closer to my goal. The quest continues...

http://www.google.com/glm/

PS - I was able to launch the app using my T-Mobile SIM, and I could enter a starting address, but the data connection would not connect. Hopefully Google and T-Mobile can get these kinks ironed out.

0 comments: