6.13.2008

3G iPhone rant & desire to just wait for 4G

At first, I was excited. Following the WWDC events unfold live via Leo Laporte's choppy Stickam stream, then listening to that guy who was broadcasting on Yahoo Live!. Then switched to UStream which had the audio only. All to hear about the new iPhone. Turns out UStream was most reliable for the audio stream, although Leo had crazy numbers of viewers 7k+ at times.

So Apple announces that developing apps for iPhone is easier with tools, apis, etc. Ok. And new iPhone is announced with 3G HSDPA capabilties (which is actually more like 3.5G) and built in GPS. A bunch of games and other apps (ebay? mkay). Better email/productivity tools aimed at the business customer demographic. Great.

The biggest thing missing in my opinion is a better camera (or two cameras for that matter) and the ability to stream live video over 3.5G HSDPA. Well, it turns out they stuck with the same 2.0MP camera and no built in video support (more on this later).

Overall, I'm also pretty disappointed that the 3G iPhone still only has a 2MP camera when other phones that support Qik streaming - like the Nokia N95 - come with a 5MP camera. I want to use my iPhone for rapid fire posting of pics to Flickr and other photo sharing sites and socnets, and more importantly streaming live video on sites like Qik, Flixwagon, UStream, etc. If I'm going to be limited to a 2MO camera, I think my UMPC w. EVDO and Logitech webcam is a better setup for mobile streaming.

The bottom line is that I'm not sure that GPS & 3G HSDPA is enough to convince me to switch plans and providers from Verizon to AT&T and buy a new 3G iPhone. I got a pretty good deal with Verizon as I have 1 mobile and 2 USB EVDO cards on this account and I get a special discount so the EVDO cards only cost me $39/month.

I'm sick of hearing about 3G anyway. It's been a huge failure by the wireless companies, especially when we see 4G and 5G being tested/rolled out in Europe, China, etc.

I talked to a guy at the Jeff Pulver breakfast event the other day about T-Mobile's plans for a 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) network capabable of speeds of 50-100MB downlink. Good article here from WWDC coverage (scroll to the bottom to get the plans for 4G network plans). Still a ways off though. Double Sigh.

The question is do I switch my mobile from Verizon to AT&T and get the 3G iPhone or wait and see if Verizon has any more powerful devices in the pipeline? At this point I could be swayed in either direction.

Convince me why I should buy the 3G iPhone.

blog comments powered by Disqus