1.07.2006

CALL TO ACTION: taggers

CALL TO ACTION: taggers

We need a controlled vocabulary and some best practices and/or guidlines for taggers asap. If not, this whole social tagging and bookmarking phenomena is going to implode and get muddied with dirty metadata. I am of the opinion that we should strive to apply the library of congress cataloging rules (or similar methodology) and establish a set of rules for tagging and assigning metadata descriptions to internet works.

It's got to happen before tagging goes mainstream or else we're going to be back in the same place we were with the early search engines in the 1998-2000 era of the interweb.

Who wants to join my mission to bring the concept of a controlled vocabulary and set of guidelines for tagging to sites like del.icio.us, digg, and all the other tagging sites? If you're on board, please leave me a comment or track me down on my blog.

If I get enough interest, I'll commit to whipping up a very interesting site based on an idea that I've had to help address the controlled vocab and best practices for assigning metadata descriptions topics. Who's in?

The rate of progress and innovation in the above topic areas is starting to make my brain ache, and I'm finding myself ignoring some of the most basic life functions (eating, sleeping) to "geek out" on it. As a technologist with an educational background in library and info science, it is so easy for me to get sucked in to the above topics.

Why is this important/needed?

As these technologies, innovations, and social phenomena continue to power the current wave of innovation (e.g. the "public api mashup and create a new ajax-powered site" phenomena),i'm finding it harder and harder to manage the exponentially increasing wealth of information that streams across my eyeballs and into my aching brain. the problem is that all of this information is interesting and relevant, and there's no way I can possibly sift through it all in a 24 hour day.

This is why I really need a way to work more efficiently and effectively and improve my ability to filter out the noise and only focus on those info gems that I deem most relevant. Thankfully, web2.0 gives me the collective intelligence of the ENTIRE world to help guide me in the right direciton. This is simply amazing and is one of my biggest areas of interest in web2.0.

The social aspects of web2.0 are fueling the ability for sites like del.icio.us and digg.com to deliver really interesting, USEFUL, and RELEVANT information [feeds] to any device that I can connect to the net. This has given me a window into some of the most useful lifehacks that I am actively working on to address the very issue that I'm referring to in this post.

As an example of how important I think the social aspects of web2.0 will power my ability to discover more relevant info, sites, services,people, you name it --- I recently changed my browser homepage from my.yahoo.com (which I've been using for 10+ years) to del.icio.us/popular

In my opinion, the social bookmarking and networking phenomena is driving a new wave of amorphous, adaptive, dynamic, and intelligent sites and services that automagically filter out the noise. This is the power of the "collective intelligence" that is sweeping across the net. People, not technology are driving this [r]evolution (?). look at the weird connections between web2.0 and china that I've just started blogging about.

[save]

More to come on this topic in a bit. Got to take a break and put my laundry in the dryer (which I've been putting off for way too long).

0 comments: