1.07.2006

a top 10 list >> how to deal with information overload >> a day in the life of a web2.0 addict

This is an experiment in a living and breathing and constantly evolving journal/post/top10 list. I will do my best to filter out the noise, but there are some important thoughts that I need to get down to help me with some ideas I have. it will be an evolutionary process. please bare with me. web2.0 makes my head hurt, but I think its too important to not focus on the current trends sweeping across the net right now. What do you think?


Here's a delightful collection of the most important tools, gadgets, services, mashups, and "web2.0 methodologies" that I currently use to deal with information overload and best manage the wealth of information I'm exposed to on the intermobilewebnet.

[12:05pm - Jan 6, 2005 - I suppose I should probably put a top10 here somewhere so here are the current top 10 useful things that I employ to help deal with information overload (dave letterman style)


10. social networking, instant messaging, communication, collaboration, and community. linkedIn, myspace, orkut.com, hotornot, GAIM, meebo, skype, trillian

Gotta have communications channels right? IM is something that most of us have been using for 10+ years. Advancements in IM standards make things like meebo.com and the ability to build a social network possible. You gotta start somewhere and whether your looking to meet new people or just do some business networking, these sites can be (a) entertaining, (b) helpful, and (c) a real time sink. I have just recently started to play around with this tech and while interesting, it has yet to have any real impact on my daily life. Use at your own risk.


9. pics, photo mgmt & sharing. Picasa, Shutterfly, flickr, and ifranview, are my essential photo management tools. My current arsenal of photo-taking devices include a Sony cybershot DSC T1 (5mp), Sony Qualia 016 (2.0mp spycam), razr phone cam (.8 mp), samsung phone cam (1.3 mp). some interesting pic collections: http://u2mgmvegas.shutterfly.com/action/, http://u2rosegardenpdx.shutterfly.com/action/

8. google. Google Desktop Search & Sidebar, search, local, google local 4 mobile, news, adsense froogle, public apis, many more.

7. gadgets, mobile & wireless. razr, samsung t-809, bluetooth, Garmin GPS 2720, ipod nano, ipod v3 40GB + alpine auto system integration (sux), soonr, winksite, google local 4 mobile, motomodders, engadget.

6. web2.0. feeds, tags, rss, top10 lists, most popular, blogs, mashups, social bookmarking, collective intelligence, feed aggregators, zeitgist, ajax, web2.0, open source, source forge, del.icio.us, flickr, flock, google, the list could go on and on and on and on.

5. blogging, feeds & rss. technorati, blogger, feedburner, feedblitz, bloglines,

4. tagging & social bookmarking tech. del.icio.us, flickr, tailrank, myweb2.0 (yhoo), digg, many others, w

3. web2.0 services. writely, soonr, backpackit, clipmarks, winksite,

2. OS tweaks, Firefox on roids, and related netOS tech
. bare minimum essentials. firefox + massive extensions + tweaking + operating system optimizations, efficient use of ff links bar (my netOS start menu), and arsenal of web2.0 services and resulting mashups, bootable linux on a stick.

1. top 10 & most popular lists - best web2.0 software, del.icio.us/tag/top10, , top digg stories, google search for "top10 lists", many many more.

2 comments:

bdeseattle said...

thanks Mike. I've added it to my list. In doing a quick search of my del.icio.us, I see that I tagged blinklist back on Dec 13. I knew that I had seen blinklist before. Thanks for the ping.

--brian

Anonymous said...

I'm writing a dissertation about tagging so I've posted a list of 20+ sites currently using tags to organize info.
Here's the page if it can be any help to you...
http://www.research.intellagirl.com

click on the tagging sites button to see the list.

Sarah Robbins