11.26.2006

How to Export Google Reader Feeds as OPML

Last night, I realized that adding a simple blogroll to my blog hosted on Blogger was a pain in the butt. Every time I wanted to add a new site, I had to mod my blog template (old school blogger GUI - not the fancy schmancy new one -which I saw the other day while tweaking my sister's blog). Anyway, I figured out that OPML was the path to success, and after recently blowing away all of my Bloglines subs (ditching Bloglines as my reader), I started re-adding my favorite feeds to Google Reader.

Well then I spent some time updating my blog to make it more Technorati friendly and SEO'd. After exploring the Technorati Tools and starting to train myself to add blogs I like / read to My Technorati Favorited(in addition to saving to del.icio.us), I figure this is as good a way as any to manage my blogroll. I'll just use an embeddable widgie-poo from the Technorati Tools site.

So, after all that, I just now figured out how to export my subs from Google Reader as OPML. Actually, the feature was right there all along, it was just not too obvious. Here's the recipe for success that I just figured out (assumes the new Google Reader Web GUI):

1) From Google Reader home, click Manage Subscriptions.

2) Click Import/Export.

3) Click "Export your subscriptions as an OPML file"

4) This will generate an odd looking page with plain text: " subscriptions in Google Reader" - rest of page is otherwise blank.

5) This is your OPML file. From your browser, view source or save as "myfeeds.opml.

6) Then I used Technorati to suck in my Google Reader feeds via their OPML import feature.

7) Finally, I embedded one of the Technorati Favorites widgets into my blog template and voila, I've got the Feeds I've saved in a nice compact widget exposed on my blog's sidebar.

Happing exporting.

--brian

PS - also experimenting with blogrolling site that I found last night.

1 comments:

indiessance said...

thanks for the tutorial! I successfully exported google reader subscriptions, and then manually imported them into tailrank - initially, encountering a snag after changing the exported filename from "google-reader-subscriptions.xml" to something else - the file needs to remain exactly what google names it.