1.03.2007

del.icio.us vs bluedot comparison

Alright. Yesterday, whilst getting my daily dose of socially-driven news over at Original Signal, I came across Arrington's review of the 2007 web2.0 companies that he couldn't live without. After reading the first part of his post, I was intrigued by his review of Bluedot and decided to take it for a quick spin.

Let's move on to the bluedot.us install / del.icio.us import.

The install:

Simple FF add-on / bookmarklet. Install FF add-on [ Get it here ]. Restart FF.

The import:

My ~900 del.icio.us bookmarks took about 5-8 min to complete.

The Process:

As Michael mentions in his post, bluedot is really about sharing your bookmarks with friends and adds another layer of granularity to making your bookmarks public vs. private. Bluedot allows you to selectively share your dots with friends [NOTE: I've yet to explore this feature because I only have one friend so far and I'm all about sharing my dots with the masses in the true spirit of the user-driven, socially-powered web2.0 world we live in. ]

The GUI:

Bluedot organizes itself into 4 main areas.

  1. Home - sub menus allow you to filter your "dots". Dots = URI/bookmark + tags + extracted metadata. You can view Friend's dots, Everyone's Dots, and My Dots

  2. People - sub menus allow you to Find Friends, view My Friends, and Invite Friends

  3. Tools - everything you'd come to expect in a piece of socialsoftware - widgets, feeds, REST, APIs, FF extensions, bookmarklets, and blog integration. Tools page is pretty self explanatory, so am not going to go into too much detail here (also haven't explored all of them yet)

  4. My Account - standard account management features. Edit profile, password, email settings, etc.
Here are some pics I posted to my flickr stream that showcase some of the bluedot features in action:

My Bluedot homepage:
bluedot.us.home

Tag view of my dots:
bluedot.us.tags

So I've only spent about 2 hours total playing around with bluedot, but I think I'm ready to do a basic feature comparison. There are certainly features that I am psyched to see in Bluedot (is that a USER RATING SYSTEM I see next to my profile?!?!?!?), but there are other critical features that are supported on del.icio.us that I am not seeing here (yet?). I'll wait for the experts to chime in and correct any inaccuracies or oversights on my part (apologies in advance).

With that, here's a feature comparison table with a list of features that I find most important in social bookmarking and tagging systems. It will expand on my del.icio.us vs. myweb2.0 feature bakeoff in my previous post on this topic that I've linked to from above.

OK, so I'm a busy guy and haven't finished this post. Gives you a compelling reason to check back. I promise I'll finish it soon. :-)





















Featuredel.icio.usBluedotMyWeb2.0Comments
Tagging
Tag separatorspacecommacomma



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post !